Walkabouts with Property Owners
The Mayne Island Conservancy is pleased to offer free consultation and information services to land owners who are interested in learning more about the natural features of their properties. These informal walkabouts with our experienced staff and volunteers are a fun and educational way to help you learn more about your land, and how to steward natural habitats for native plants and animals.
If you are interested in booking a walkabout, please call or email us and we’ll set up a date. it’s that easy!
We can help provide the following information:
- Identification of native plants and animals on your land
- Provide maps of ecosystems on you property and surrounding areas
- Advice on re-establishing native plants
- Advice on invasive plant management
- Advice on maintaining natural areas of your property
- Bat, bird, and other wildlife identification
- Advice on pond and wetland construction/conservation
Between 2010 and 2018, we joined landowners for walkabouts on 67 properties (735 acres) across Mayne Island. We continue to communicate and work with many land stewards on an ongoing basis to provide advice on restoring native habitats and managing invasive plants.
Mayne Island is 85% privately owned, so the future of natural areas and the plants and animals that depend on them is in your hands! The Walkabout program is designed to increase the love of nature by private land owners through education and experience. The natural observations shared with us by land stewards help us understand the life cycles and seasonal patterns of life on Mayne.
We look forward to exploring the natural areas of you property with you, contact us now to set up a walkabout!